Top Ten Romantic Poems
Poetry is the classic expression of love in art. Everyone appreciates seeing the written word as it expresses emotions felt toward one another.
Read poetry together, write little love notes to one another, buy poetry books as gifts or simply leave a book open to a poem that reminds you of your sweetheart. Here's our picks for the top ten most romantic poems you can start with when searching for your perfect expression of love:
1. Your own – None of the great masters can beat a poem you have written personally to the one you love. Even if you are not so skilled in writing, the most romantic gesture when it comes to poetry is expressing in verse how you feel from the heart. Your partner won’t notice if it is a literary masterpiece, they will just know you cared enough to express yourself.
2. How do I Love Thee by Elizabeth Barrett Browning – Most people know at least part of this famous poem. When you want to express the fullness of your love this is an ideal piece to choose.
3. Serenade by Edgar Allen Poe – This truly is a serenade to the senses and is sure to incite a romantic response. Read this poem before going to bed at night.
4. Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare – Love is steadfast and unchangeable even though the world around you does change. No top list of poetry could be complete without at least one of Shakespeare’s sonnets. A collection of them is a perfect gift for a loved one.
5. To My Dear and Loving Husband by Anne Bradstreet – For anyone married, especially if it has been awhile, this poignant poem is perfect to give to your husband. Let him know you still care even after all this time.
6. Give All to Love by Ralph Waldo Emerson – When faced with stresses in life, your partner is there for you to love and support you. Express how devoted and committed you are with this passionate poem.
7. Believe Me, If All These Endearing Young Charms by Thomas Moore – This is a poem about commitment and everlasting love while growing old together. It is an ideal poem for young and old loves alike.
8. At Last by Elizabeth Akers Allen – If you are finding love later in life this is the perfect expression of the joy you may feel at finally finding the love you yearned for.
9. He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven by W.B. Yeats – This poem is perfect for young love or those who are working on a tight budget. You may want to give the world to your loved one but you can not afford it. Instead, you’ll give them something much more precious.
10. Life in a Love by Robert Browning – How is your life enhanced by the one you love? There are good and bad times within a relationship but you wouldn’t change it for the world.